The desire to tell your story is only the beginning. Writing is hard work specially when you start; it takes practice, effort and compromise. Writing is a lifetime work that may seem daunting. Yet, we all should remember that good writing is the result of 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration: brainstorming, outlining, writing, re-writing, editing, and proof-reading are just the basic steps in the never ending art of writing. But do not despair since here we bring you five golden tips and advice from famous and successful authors for you to become the ultimate writer.
1. Pick up a book right this minute. “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time -or the tools- to write.” This is Stephen King’s paramount advice for people who want to write. So go pick up a book, any book, and submerge yourself in the story. Without realizing, you’ll absorb grammar and syntax rules like a sponge.
2. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. “People learn only by error”, said William Faulkner. Write and rewrite as many times as necessary and you’ll see how our draft will eventually become a nice piece of writing.
3. Haters gonna hate. “Pay no attention to the criticism of men who have never themselves written a notable work”, those wise words come from none other than American poetry legend Ezra Pound. The process of writing is not for the self-centered. It takes patience and maturity to understand that any criticism is nothing but feedback for you to be a great author. Do not be discouraged if your friends or family don’t understand why you spend hours upon hours typing or scribbling.
4. Figure out the story you want to tell. “First, one must determine precisely ‘what-and-what do I wish to say'”, was the advice of philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche in a letter to a young woman. “What story?”, “how can I tell it?”, and “why this story is so important?” are questions you should keep in mind when trying to figure out the right story to tell.
5. Believe in yourself. “The hardest part is believing in yourself at the notebook stage. It’s like believing in dreams in the morning”: these are the words of Erica Jong, who broke the molds imposed on female writers with her depiction of female sexuality in the novel Fear of Flying. You will, at the end of the day, be your first reader, your first critic but all in all, your biggest source of inspiration.
“A Writer Must Be Read”
This is a quote from the movie The Wife (2017), and sure has worked like a gospel for all writers throughout history. Indeed, the most important part in the process of writing is letting your voice be heard. There are many places that will happily publish your work online but, how do you chose the right one to submit it for consideration?
Choose a place that will truly care for your voice and that will help you grow as a writer, a place with a strong team of editors and staff writers that will help you polish your work through coaching sessions.
Well, we’ve got you covered with the possibility to be read by millions worldwide. So, what are you waiting for?
Get published NOW!
We, Cultura Colectiva +, are a digital platform with over 50 million viewers on a daily basis and over 3 billion video views per month. So, why not choosing a website that ranked amongst the World Top 50 digital publishers?
It doesn’t matter if you already have a blog or a website, or if you are a seasoned unpublished writer, or even if you’re someone who has never written anything. If you have a story to tell, we want to hear it.
We are always open for submissions. These are some of our guidelines:
- Make sure that your text includes a clear idea, story or anecdote.
- 500 words would do the trick. What a piece of cake, right?!
- It would be great to follow the already stablished format of our articles: introduction – idea – idea – idea -…- closing remarks. Don’t be afraid, remember that we’ve got your back with the editing.
- Include at least 3 verifiable references for each submission.
- Last, but not least, we DO want to hear YOUR story. Plagiarism is a bore and we crave for your own creations with your wonderful ideas.
If you have any doubts about these guidelines, or you are just very eager to be a part of our amazing team of International Storytellers, please write to email@example.com
If your work gets published, we will include a link to your personal website or gallery, plus you will get an invitation to one of our Online Coaching Sessions with our seasoned editors, and a Letter of Recommendation from our headquarters.
Anyone has a story to tell so don’t be shy and let the world hear it!
Fuente: Cultura Colectiva